The Cats Respond to the Rules
1. Gourmet cat food is not an entitlement.
Oh, yeah? Talk to the paw.
2. It's MY bed. You are not entitled to more than half of it, no matter how much you can stretch out.
All comfy flat surfaces are the property of cats. This is a law of nature and of nations. Move your feet.
3. Synchronized washing of one another's faces is cute. Synchronized hacking up of hairballs is not.
How about synchronized jumping from the top of the bureau onto the human’s bad knee? How about THAT, huh? What have you got to say to that, two-legs?
4. Wait till the human's back is turned before you lick your sister's butt.
Why? It’s a spectator sport. And we don’t understand why you won’t participate.
5. My food is not for cats. My drink is not for cats. My meds are not for cats.
Anything we can get our greedy little paws on is by definition “for cats.” Otherwise, we wouldn’t be able to get hold of it, right? Law of nature again, pal.
6. Don't make nice when the cat from next door comes to the back window. He's a homosexual rapist.
He doesn’t live there any more. We now spend our time staring out the window at StalkerCat.
7. Stop being nicer to Bruce than you are to me, just because he's the one who delivers the bags of cat food.
Hey, we like guys! We like James, too. And what have YOU done for us lately?
8. Plaintive Siamese meows are just plain distracting. Please print your messages, on one side of the paper only, if you have something you must say.
Again, talk to the paw. Or read the memos we leave on the computer when you’re out of the room.
9. Stop staring at me when I'm on the john. I don't come and stare at you when you're in the litter box.
Yeah, but you’re funny-looking. And now that Aliera has learned how to lock herself in the bathroom, it’s the only entertainment going on in there.
10. GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WASTEBASKET!
If you don’t want the stuff any more, why SHOULDN’T we help ourselves to it? Mean old human-in-the-manger!
11. When I am trying to take a nap, or deeply asleep, it is not the time for cat rugby, feet-eating, or “I’m going to yowl at you till you toss the toy for me.”
We took a vote on this. You lost, two to one.
12. Honestly, it really IS possible to play with a toy without ripping all the feathers off it and chewing them to bits.
Sure—but this way we get more new toys.
13. I appreciate the sentiment, really I do; but it is unnecessary to deposit any more Styrofoam pellets on my bed. If I wanted to sleep among Styrofoam pellets, I’d be living in a cardboard box.
Humans have no concept of the appropriate interior décor for a household run by cats. We are doing our best to educate you.
14. You might try exerting yourself occasionally to CATCH the bug, instead of just staring at it in a bemused manner.
Only if you can guarantee that it tastes like a Sheba duck dinner.
15. If you keep making phone calls by stepping on the speakerphone button, you’re going to have to pay for them yourselves.
Hah! Little do you know that we have your AT&T credit card…and we know how to use it.
16. When you yowl for people food like chicken or cheese, and I give you some, you do NOT walk away and leave it crudding up the dish.
We’re female and have the inalienable right to change our minds about anything and everything.
17. Don't go after the people food while the people are still eating it!
But once we take it away from you, you’re not eating it anymore. So what’s the problem?
18. The yard guy and the pool guy are not your long-lost relatives and do not need to be greeted as such. They are outdoor people; you are indoor cats.
We are going to make it out there one of these days, and we’ll need allies against the other neighborhood cats. And, as we’ve said before, we like men.
19. If you’re going to make yourself comfortable on the desk in front of the monitor, LIE DOWN! I need to be able to see what I’m writing.
Shut up and pet us.
20. To quote an old cartoon, never, never, never think outside the box.
No answer—just cats rolling around on the floor laughing their asses off.